Senior System Engineer
Princeton, NJ | Direct Hire
Our Client in Princeton NJ is seeking a Senior Systems Engineer to directly join their team.
Reporting into the Director, IT Infrastructure; the Senior Systems Engineer will be responsible for analyzing, installing, configuring, and troubleshooting Business-Critical Applications, Microsoft Operating Systems and technologies, VMware Environments, and Storage Systems. The Engineer will perform a variety of evaluation, maintenance, installation, and documentation tasks to ensure the hardware, server, and application performance meets company and user satisfaction. The candidate will also provide direction, information, and recommendations regarding future infrastructure technologies, configurations and installations as well as improvements to existing systems.
- Hardware/Software updates of core Virtualization and Storage Architecture.
- New virtual server provisioning and maintenance of existing virtual servers.
- Build and run scripts to manage/automate tasks related to VMWare and O/S platforms.
- Ensure enterprise standards, best practices and security are maintained and enforced on all infrastructure systems.
- Performs troubleshooting to isolate and diagnose problems.
- Evaluates current infrastructure technology, conduct research, recommend and implement innovate infrastructure technology that can enhance the reliability, security, productivity and efficiency of the IT infrastructure
- Manages projects by developing detailed project plans, procuring necessary resources, monitoring progress and providing regular status reports to management team
- Develops and maintains documentation of design, as well as on-going operation and administration of infrastructure
- Provide mentoring and act as an escalation point for junior-level engineer, administrators and technicians
- Plans and recommends network hardware, systems management software and architecture.
- Approves and modifies Infrastructure architecture to ensure compliance.
- Provides technical write-ups and root cause analysis in the event of system degradations, outages, or anomalies involving data center technology
- Recommends and implements disaster avoidance and recovery strategies
- May take on role of Project Leader for special enterprise wide assignments.
- Monitors solutions and recommendations for compatibility with the IT Operations strategic direction.
- Conducts risk assessments and business impact analysis to identify vulnerable areas and applications within the environment.
- Reviews IT operations designs to ensure that the infrastructure design continues to meet the needs of the business.
- Ensures best practices, standards and guidelines are applied in developing, designing and implementing solutions, establishing work priorities, resolving problems and reporting on project status.
- Translates business requirements into infrastructure or process designs.
- Evaluates and recommends new products, maintains knowledge of emerging technologies for application to the enterprise.
- 5+ years modern VMware virtualization administration experience (vSphere 5 or later).
- 5+ years of experience using NetApp Storage
- 5+ years server engineering experience.
- SRM / Disaster Recovery Solutions experience a plus
- Understanding of VM governance and best-practices
- Cisco UCS experience a plus
- Hands-on experience with ESX and Oracle VCA virtualization platforms
- A basic understanding of switching, routing, and firewalls
- Basic Linux experience a plus
- Agile or DevOps experience a plus
- Advanced PowerShell scripting
- Active Directory experience
- Azure, Google, or AWS cloud experience a plus
- Must be a self-starter that can work independently and deliver according to expectation
- Advanced skills in solving complex technical problems involving integrated operating systems and hardware platforms.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to work independently and in a group to complete projects/goals.
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment and make sound decisions in emergency situations.
If you feel like you are the right fit for the job above, please click the apply online button below and I will be sure to reach out ASAP!