DB2 Systems Programmer
9 Griffin Road Windsor, CT 06095
DB2 Systems Programmer
- Location: Windsor, CT
- Status: Contract assignment
- Estimated Duration: 1 year
- Hourly Target Range: TBD
- Remote: Potential remote work available after training and getting up to speed
A Health Insurance company which offices located in Windsor, CT is presently looking for a DB2 Systems Programmer with the ability to open tickets, provide diagnostics to vendors and clearly document issues.
This role requires someone who can support Db2 for zOS and related database products in both Development and Production environments. The Engineer works with Application Solution Groups and Business teams to determine requirements, modifications and schedules. Represent the Engineering team as liaison with software vendors and technical support teams on issues such as software upgrades, problems and potential solutions. Ability to adapt, learn and support multiple DBMS technology interfacing to Db2 technology. The Engineer will have exceptional documentation skills and ability to communicate with developers and business resources. Subject matter expert in the mainframe technology, terminology, and 3rd party technology that interfaces with zSystems.
Product Engineering requires 24x7 pager support, working with delivery teams to coordinate implementation activities and assist in monitoring.
DBA role requires the ability to design logical and physical databases, schemas, create and implement complex databases structure including access methods, device allocations, validation checks and security. Work with architects, data modelers, and application developers in the creation and support of Db2 databases from physical design through all phases of application testing. The DBA works with Application Solution Groups and Business teams to determine requirements, modifications and schedules. Db2 performance tuning is a significant component of the position.
The responsibilities of the position are:
- Manage the SMPE process for Db2 zOS and related IBM and Third Party products.
- Manage the installation, upgrade, maintenance and support of the Db2 zOS in both Data Sharing and non-Data Sharing environments.
- Manage the installation, upgrade, maintenance and technical support of Db2 products for z/OS. Includes IBM data replication in addition to basic knowledge of target non-mainframe DBMSs such as Db2 LUW, Oracle, Db2 i.
- Monitor Db2 environment for performance concerns and proactively address.
- Thorough knowledge of Db2 zOS security. Identify and remediate any security exposures.
- Support Disaster Recovery exercises in a mirrored environment.
- Work projects simultaneously spanning multiple applications/releases
- Work with application teams to design, implement and migrate Db2 objects through multiple test environments.
- Support tuning Db2 databases and application code. This requires understanding of SQL, application architecture, Db2 performance tuning, and Db2 architecture
- Weekend support for monthly Product maintenance and Application Releases required.
- Work with peers to develop and improve controls, stream-line procedures through automation, update documentation and implement new Db2 functionality
- Work with application teams to design Db2 database objects that meet business requirements and production standards. This requires obtaining application knowledge while working with architects, data modelers, and application developers
- 8 + years Db2 zOS experience including experience as a DBA as well as Systems Programmer
- 7+ years Db2 DBA experience which includes implementing and maintaining Db2 database objects (DDL) along with performance tuning SQL
- Following products a plus: IDAA (IBM DB2 Analytic Accelerator), BMC utilities, IIDR (Infosphere Data Replication) - both Change Data Capture and SQL Replication, IBM Data Administration Tool, IBM DB2 Automation Tool, CA RC/Secure, Omegamon for DB2PE, STROBE, Erwin, Compuware File-aid for DB2, QMF, DB2 Data Server Client.
- Demonstrated skills in performance tuning, design and troubleshooting
- Maintains vendor software on the mainframe utilizing vendor and other tools as required.
- Detailed knowledge of the software management process (design, install, test, maintain)
- Knowledge and experience dealing with software and hardware vendors.
- Ability to design mainframe infrastructure hardware and software architecture.
- Technical knowledge of non-mainframe applications and products that interface with Db2 on the mainframe.
- Experience supporting production and non-production databases
- Experience with most ZOS mainframe tools such as DFDSS, IDCAMS, JCL. Familiar with scheduling tools such as CA ESP.
- Exposure to REXX, CLISTS programming are a plus.
- Effectively communicates complex technology concepts and solutions to all levels of the corporation from entry level to senior management.
- Communicates and influences technical staff within the mainframe domain at varying levels of complexity.
- Viewed as an internal expert, able to influence management and the technical community within the mainframe domain.
- Able to represent client well to external vendors and customers.
- Experience engaging various vendors for technical support while working to determine root cause and resolution. Ability to open tickets, provide diagnostics to the vendor and clearly document issues.
Benefits include Medical and Dental Insurance, 401(k), Employee Service Center, Referral Bonuses, Loyalty and Longevity Bonuses, and Plum Benefits.
To be considered for this position you need to have the ability to work in a very fast paced environment, and be a quick learner. Excellent communication skills are essential in this role.
If you feel you are qualified for this position, please apply directly via talonpro.com.
If you feel like you are the right fit for the job above, please click the apply online button below and I will be sure to reach out ASAP!