Data Center Operation Engineer
22271 Broderick Dr Sterling, VA 20163 | Contract
- Position: Data Center Operations Engineer
- Location: Sterling, VA
- Status: Contract assignment
- Estimated Duration: 7 months
- Hourly Target Range: TBD
- Positions available: 1
Split shift info is as follows.
Monday & Friday first shift only
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday, 8-12 noon & 8pm-12 midnight, with some flexibility in those hours
Remaining specialties needed are as follows:
1. Strong Linux admin experience
2. Mainframe hardware planning experience
A Health Insurance company located in Sterling, VA is presently looking for four Data Center Operation Engineers to add to their growing team.
Seeking experienced data center engineers. Engineers should have strong experience in the day to day management and operations of all data center IT components.
- PHYSICAL PLANNING
- Assist in determining environmental requirements
- Determine the required power drops, voltage, amperage, connector or receptacle and length.
- Obtain quote to procure and install in conjunction with facilities
- Monitor service levels
- Recommend growth requirements of Data Center
- Monitoring environmental conditions of data center
- HARDWARE PLANNING
- Responsible for the provisioning and physical operation of IT infrastructure services in the data center including Network, Telecommunications, Servers, Storage, Mainframe, etc.
- Participate in project meetings where needed.
- Be able to obtain a basic understanding of clients network design & SAN design, such that Server installations can be completed successfully and on time
- Determine cabling requirements, and determine if cabling has been included in the equipment procurement.
- Recommend cable & equipment infrastructure components as necessary
- Allocation of cabinet space within the data center
- Installation of new hardware in cabinets within the data center
- Plan and coordinate the installation of Ethernet and Fiber Gig-E cabling for various Midrange and Distributed projects, via managing a contractor to perform those activities.
- Provide cost estimates of infrastructure components, labor and lead time estimates.
- Schedule all installations, de-installations, and reconfigurations in change management tool
- Liaising with data center/cabling infrastructure third party vendors
- Plan changes to minimize weekend outage windows by: Pre-laying cable; Staging equipment; providing detailed and realistic back out procedures.
- Coordinate timing of installations including weekend and off hour activities with change control.
- Participates in deployment/release activities for Data Center implementations and maintenance ensuring all change policies are followed
- STRUCTURED CABLING SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT
- Fiber & Copper cabling. Act as structured fiber optic and copper cabling system custodian, fluent in the multitude of fiber optic connectivity product technologies for networking and SAN.
- Develop detailed cable rework sheets and checklists for the vendors
- Checkout connectivity of newly installed hardware for acceptance into production.
- Maintain & document appropriate levels of fiber optic and copper jumper cables to maintain timely system installations.
- DIAGNOSE, REPAIR and SUPPORT
- Diagnose and swap out defective equipment cables as necessary when trouble shooting.
- Be able to provide local support when diagnosing SAN HW and SW related problems and during Network and SAN upgrades
- Submit changes, schedule and coordinate repairs
- Troubleshoot infrastructure problems and perform repairs such as sparing fibers within a trunk.
- Be able to perform minimal required configuration of the OS required to hand over for remote support, such as remote hands, login, etc.
- Incident response and vendor management for the installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, break/fix and retirement of physical infrastructure on site
- Provide 3rd level physical hardware support for problems escalated by operations
- Arranging security clearance/access for site visits, for visitors and third party vendors
- Maintaining documentation within DCIM tool
- Maintain impeccable documentation of data center configuration including various structured cable inventories
- Create and maintain all documentation necessary to support the particular server and peripheral configurations being installed.
- Be able to perform all Network & SAN Structured Cabling requirements, including routing, labeling and adhering to cabling management standards.
- Ensure essential control measures (security, information protection, exception handling) are in place and followed.
- Organization for the delivery of materials to site/documentation
- Must provide a level of specialization in one of the four areas:
- Mainframe hardware and mainframe storage area networks;
- Data center information management (DCIM);
- Linux administration
- Data center capacity management
- Must provide a level of specialization in one of the four areas:
Skills and Competencies:
- 5+ years of demonstrated hands on management of the IT components of the data center
- 3+ years of relevant experience with data center operations (experience with power / electrical equipment including generators, critical and essential PDU’ s, UPS, switchgear, DC Power Systems, and building monitoring/control systems)
- Familiarity with HP, IBM, and Dell Servers, Blades, SAN, VMWare, Mainframe, AS400 and Cisco equipment
- Understanding of basic network and storage area network concepts and standards
- Solid understanding of facilities and cabling standards
- Familiarity with DCIM systems (StruxureWare Data Center Expert preferred)
- Strong documentation skills to capture architecture details, procedures, and other relevant data
- Planning, organization, problem solving, communication (face to face, email & telephone), time management and prioritizing skills
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with internal team members and external vendors
- Understanding of basic Microsoft Suite applications
Benefits include Medical and Dental Insurance, 401(k), Employee Service Center, Referral Bonuses, Loyalty and Longevity Bonuses, and Plum Benefits.
To be considered for this position you need to have the ability to work in a very fast paced environment, be a quick learner and have the necessary required experience listed above. Strong communication skills are also essential for this client and the ability to work in an enterprise level environment.
If you feel you are qualified for this position, please apply directly via talonpro.com.
If you feel like you are the right fit for the job above, please click the apply online button below and I will be sure to reach out ASAP!