Data Center Technician
9 Griffin Road Hartford County, CT 06095
Data Center Technician / Parts Manager
- Status: Contract assignment – Multi Year (through 2020) with possible conversion
- Second Shift role - Monday through Friday, 4: 30pm - 1: 00am
- Hourly Target Range: TBD
This is a second shift role as a Data Center Parts Manager and Data Center Technician.
To be part of a team responsible for the continuous operation and performance of their Data Centers. The person in this position will be responsible for all parts stock, parts readiness and the day-to-day support of server, network and storage components in the Data Center. This support includes chassis, module and power supply replacement during incidents, project engagements, RMA returns and maintenance activities. This position will ensure high quality service delivery through responsiveness to network, server and storage problems. This position will also involve some participation in crisis management and to adhere to service levels and network improvement initiatives. A person in this role is expected to respond to high impact issues on a 24x7 basis, participating in a rotating on call schedule with other team members, with work hour norms based on second shift.
Requirements, Skills and Competencies:
- Associates Degree in Computer Science or a related discipline and at least 1 year experience in all phases of infrastructure network management or its equivalent in education and work experience.
- 1 + years prior experience with a large enterprise network and SAN, preferably in the healthcare sector.
- Knowledge of layer-2/3 network designs, protocols and exposure to SAN fiber channel.
- Knowledge of the configuration and support of vendor equipment such as Cisco, Juniper F5, Riverbed and Aruba.
- Cisco CCNA or CompTIA Network+/A+ certifications a plus
- Knowledge of packet capture tools such as Wireshark and tcpdump.
- Basic understanding of Python programming language.
- 1+ years of relevant experience with the principles of data center operations (day to day care and feeding of the servers, network and storage, such as power supply, fan and other component replacements)
- Solid understanding of data center cabling principles
- Linux and Windows basic touch experience preferable
- Willingness to learn and use DCIM system to document the data center
- Strong organization, problem solving and communication skills
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with team members, peers and vendors
- Understanding of basic Microsoft Suite applications
Specific areas of responsibility:
- Conduct physical cataloging, warehousing, inventorying, material control coordination and data entry assisting different supply activities.
- Disperse parts and shipments to data center engineers as they are requested.
- Follow the activities and projects of the data center team so that you can anticipate needs.
- Establish and maintain maximum and minimum consumables inventory levels.
- Supervise orders and arrange stocking of raw materials and equipment to ensure they meet needs.
- Manage the return of RMA parts to the vendors in a timely fashion.
- Ship equipment to other data centers and remote sites when requested.
- Work with other logistics teams and IT asset managers in the company.
DATA CENTER TECHNICIAN
- Responsible for the basic racking and installation of physical IT infrastructure equipment in the data center including Network, Telecommunications, Servers and Storage.
- Participate in project implementation conference calls where and when needed.
- Be able to quickly obtain a basic understanding of their network and SAN design, such that server, network and storage installations can be completed successfully and on time
- Installation of racking new hardware in cabinets within the data center
- Participates in deployment/release activities for Data Center implementations and maintenance ensuring all change policies are followed
- Submit change control, manage problem tickets, schedule and coordinate repairs
- Provide on-site support in the Data Center during incidents, RMA, project and maintenance activities.
- Provide tier II support for data and network, server and storage systems infrastructure.
- Assist in voice and data network problem determination efforts.
- Be able to work off of pre-prepared cabling request sheets and checklists for the vendors
- Perform the installation of Ethernet and Fiber Gig-E cabling for various open systems server and networking projects, including routing, labeling and adhering to cabling management standards.
- Coordinating and manage cabling contractors to perform larger cabling activities
- Checkout connectivity of newly installed hardware for acceptance into production.
- Maintain & document appropriate levels of fiber optic and copper jumper cables to maintain timely system installations.
- Provide planning and vendor oversight for server, network and storage change activity.
- Operate in accordance with business needs, priorities and SLAs
- Provide periodic performance reports for review with management providing input on improvements and quality initiatives.
- Participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation.
Diagnose, Repair and Support:
- Diagnose and swap out defective equipment cables as necessary when trouble shooting.
- Troubleshoot infrastructure problems and perform repairs such as sparing fibers within a trunk.
- Be able to provide local hands and feet on the ground support being guided by others remotely diagnosing LAN and SAN related problems and during equipment installations and break fix related activities.
- Be able to perform minimal required configuration of the OS required to hand over for remote support, such as remote hands, login, etc.
- Incident response and vendor management for the installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, break/fix and retirement of physical infrastructure on site
- Provide 3rd level physical hardware support for problems escalated by operations
- Arranging security clearance/access for site visits, for visitors and third party vendors
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Able to conduct research into networking issues and products as required.
- Able to follow directions and defined processes.
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment and make sound decisions in emergency situations.
- Highly self-motivated.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Strong customer service orientation is a must.
Excellent company culture, benefits and opportunity for growth. If you or someone you know is a fit for this role, please contact Talon today. Referral bonus offered and paid. Benefits include Medical and Dental Insurance, 401(k), Employee Service Center, Referral Bonuses, Loyalty and Longevity Bonuses, along with Hotel Engine Benefits
Fun Facts: Loves to cook, Beach bum, Future Dog owner.
If you feel like you are the right fit for the job above, please click the apply online button below and I will be sure to reach out ASAP!