LINUX Systems Administrator
South Orange, NJ | Contract to Direct Hire
Title: LINUX System Admin
Location: North NJ
Type: Contract to hire OR Direct-hire
This position supports core technologies essential to the enterprise server infrastructure and end user computing services. These technologies include the DNS and DHCP network services, VMware virtual server foundation, Linux operating system, enterprise monitoring, and tape backup systems. All of these services are used by the Banner ERP system among others.
-architecture recommendation, implementation and integration, process automation, performance analysis, security review, capacity management, upgrade planning, and problem resolution for end-to-end service components.
-current components include server, storage, and Fiber Channel networking hardware, VMware hypervisor and Linux operating systems, and specialized appliance and software solutions including Infoblox, Nagios/Solarwinds, and Tivoli Storage Manager.
-Support responsibilities include regular operation; log monitoring, maintenance, account administration, access review, and second level end user support, creation of documentation and training materials, change coordination, and investigation of security incidents. In addition to specific support of assigned systems and services, this position shares joint responsibilities of the Systems Support group including rotating on-call duty for 7x24 response to system faults, service threats, and urgent support requirements.
1. eLinux based service implementation and support - Analyze, document, install and integrate new Linux based infrastructure and application systems and provide expert support through all stages of the server lifecycle.
-Provision and manage individual and departmental resources including user accounts.
-Respond to daily user requests and problem reports.
-Provide documentation and expert consultation to end users and technical support colleagues.
-Periodically reconcile accounts and group memberships and confirm intended security settings.
-Server architecture and implementation - Analyze requirements and create system architecture design. Plan, install, test and integrate new VMware and Linux-based application systems and provide expert support through all stages of the server lifecycle. (35% of the time)
2. System operation and maintenance - Develop and perform procedures for regular maintenance including periodic review and analysis of logs, capacity and performance metrics, and security status.
-Ensure system monitoring 7 days a week, 24 hours a day and respond to service threats in a timely manner.
-Test and apply software patches.
-Update inventories and reconcile regularly to maintain appropriate backup and monitoring coverage. (25% of the time)
3. User support and account management - Respond to daily user requests and problem reports. Process authorized access change requests and performs regular entitlement reviews. Provide documentation, second-level support, and expert consultation to end users and technical support colleagues (10% of the time)
4. System development and improvement - Investigate, evaluate and test new software releases and products to keep pace with technology advancement and better achieve organizational goals. Automate time-consuming and repetitive tasks. Introduce changes and standards to optimize performance, service availability and resource utilization (20% of the time)
5. Shared systems administration responsibilities - Participate in on-call rotation for general systems support and other duties as assigned. Contribute to integration, central management and procedural improvement efforts to maintain and enhance the systems environment.(10% of the time)
If you feel like you are the right fit for the job above, please click the apply online button below and I will be sure to reach out ASAP!