Alamance County, NC 27215
- Position: Technical Specialist - Unix Engineer
- Estimated Duration: 6 month Contract to Hire
- Onsite in Alamance County, North Carolina
Our client is looking for a UNIX Engineer to work onsite at their location in Alamance County, NC. This is an onsite role with no remote flexibility, and will be a 6-month contract to hire opportunity. Experience in HP-UX and Solaris are strongly preferred.
The UNIX Systems Engineer will be responsible for the build and support/maintenance activities of AIX, HP-UX, Solaris, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems. Must be a self-starter, capable of simultaneously prioritizing and managing a variety of complex project tasks and operational support activities. The UNIX engineer will be responsible for providing technical expertise and support to application teams and delivery managers within the organization. This person will also be responsible for documenting processes and automating them via scripting, as required. Candidate must possess excellent technical analytical skills along with solid written and oral communication skills.
- Engineering overall platform needs of physical and virtual AIX, HP-UX, Solaris, and Linux, for the Enterprise.
- Experience with NPIV, VIO Servers, Firmware Updates, Live Partition Mobility, HMCs, NIM, Ignite, Dynamic Root Disk, Service Guard, and Veritas Volume Manager.
- Shell scripting (ksh, bash, Perl, python, etc.) and automation skills.
- Develop and maintain technical standards, procedures and documentation.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and adapt to a constantly changing environment.
- Ability to debug and troubleshoot network, performance, and software issues.
- Knowledge of SAN based disk solutions and their configurations.
- Ability to work independently but also must be strong in team partnership.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Excellent organization skills.
- Perform proactive analysis of infrastructure capacity and performance
- Initiate preventive maintenance on the operating systems as well as manage repair of system/environment problems
- Analyze system faults and troubleshoot and run diagnostic tests on operating systems and hardware to detect problems
- Document tasks, procedures, environments for setting up and maintaining systems
- Solid understanding of best practices and an ability to implement them
- Review existing infrastructure landscape & look for opportunities to improve
- Bring innovation or explore new opportunities in the IT Infrastructure space
- Act as an escalation point for technical solutions
- Work collaboratively with other staff
- Provide on job training/coaching when required
- Must participate in a 24x7 on-call rotation.
- AIX / Red Hat / Linux Certifications
- Ansible / AWS / Docker experience
- Previous experience working in a large environment
Benefits include Medical and Dental Insurance, 401(k), Employee Service Center, Referral Bonuses, Loyalty and Longevity Bonuses, and Plum Benefits.
To be considered for this position you need to have the ability to work in a very fast paced environment, be a quick learner. Excellent communication skills are essential in this role.
If you feel you are qualified for this position, please apply directly via talonpro.com.
Meet Your Recruiter
If you feel like you are the right fit for the job above, please click the apply online button below and I will be sure to reach out ASAP!