Data Governance Lead
101 Park Avenue Manhattan County, NY 10178
Job Title: Data Governance Lead
Status: Direct Hire
Remote: Temporary + NYC
The Data Governance Lead is responsible for establishing and leading the data governance capability - including but not limited to data quality, data privacy, and metadata management. Should have an enterprise approach to applying data governance best practices to deliver real business value. Supports Data Owners and Data Stewards in fulfilling their data governance responsibilities.
- Lead the enterprise in its journey to establish practical and impactful data governance.
- Play a leadership role in the oversight of sensitive data protection, and own & administer the tools that define & apply protection policies at a data element level.
- Identify and solve real data problems with solutions that deliver demonstrable business value in a timely manner.
- Partner with Data Owners and Data Stewards as a trusted advisor and subject matter expert on data governance capabilities and best practices, focused primarily on, but not limited to, data quality, metadata management, and lineage.
- Maintain the Enterprise Conceptual Data Model and ensure active coverage of its data domains by accountable Data Owners and responsible Data Stewards.
- Establish standards for supported capabilities, including the identification of appropriate technologies and the definition of related processes & procedures.
- Facilitate clear communication among all levels of the Data Governance community.
- Measure and report the business value and progress of ongoing data governance activities via enterprise-wide metrics and key performance indicators.
- Provide training on supported capabilities.
- Superior interpersonal skills and the ability to successfully cultivate partnerships with stakeholders from senior management to junior staff.
- Confidence in engaging multiple audiences that vary in business/technical focus.
- Expertise in distilling complex concepts into clear, straightforward language for both business and technical audiences.
- Eagerness to advocate for data governance best practices and the willingness to invest time with stakeholders to elevate their knowledge.
- Proficiency and comfort in facilitating workshops and other meetings, and driving information discovery among multiple participants.
- Takes critical feedback in stride, and adjusts approaches accordingly.
- Leads by example as a point of help and excellent customer service.
- Demonstrated success in establishing and coordinating data governance activities across an enterprise.
- Expertise in prioritizing multiple issues via the establishment of clear criteria (e.g. business impact, criticality, regulatory obligation), and providing transparency into the whole portfolio of work.
- Expertise in defining meaningful metrics and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to accurately measure and succinctly convey the story of data governance
- Expert presentation preparation and delivery skills.
- Expert understanding of data quality dimensions, and the ability to apply them for effective data quality measurement and monitoring.
- Expertise with data profiling methods and challenges.
- Expertise in translating business rules or qualitative descriptions into succinct data quality rules.
- Experience with the administration of data quality issue management & resolution (IMR) practices, including familiarity with root cause analysis methods and best practices.
- Familiarity with current regulations and emerging trends around obligations to protect sensitive personal data (e.g. New York SHIELD Act, California Consumer Privacy Act,(CCPA), General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)).
- Practical experience with approaches and tools to protect sensitive data at rest and in transit is not required but is a plus.
- Expertise in guiding subject matter experts to craft clear and complete business descriptions of data (i.e. business metadata).
- Familiarity with technical descriptions of data (i.e. technical metadata) and their relation to business metadata.
Other technical skills & experience
- Significant experience in writing SQL against relational databases is required.
- Experience with one or more vendor tools for data governance, data catalog, data quality, and/or metadata management is required.
- Experience in writing regular expressions is not required but is a plus.
- Experience with data lineage tools and methods is not required but is a plus.
- 5-10 years in a variety of data-centric roles
- 2 years in a data governance or data quality role
- Significant experience on both business/usage and technical sides of data
- Experience in a customer-facing capacity (internal or external)
- Certified Data Management Professional (CDMP) or Certified Information Management Professional (CIMP) is not required but is a plus.
- Bachelor’ s degree or equivalent years of experience
Meet Your Recruiter
If you feel like you are the right fit for the job above, please click the apply online button below and I will be sure to reach out ASAP!